dinsdag 29 maart 2016

Makeup Geek: first impression and swatches


I think Makeup Geek was one of the first American makeup blogs that became a regular read for me. I absolutely love Marlena!  She just seems so normal to me, very passionate about makeup and being a makeup artist but not over the top.  The looks she makes are always so wearable and she encourages the use of color in makeup.  I was and am a big fan!!  So when she came out with her own makeup line I was intrigued.  I was really rooting for her and it didn't take long for the positive reviews to fill the net.  Which only made me more curious... You can order all of her products in the Makeup Geek webshop, they ship worldwide, but somehow I never got around to doing that.  And than a few weeks ago I received an email that Beautybay started selling Makeup Geek.  That gave me the tiny push I needed and I ordered my very first Makeup Geek products.  


I went for the more neutral, popular eyeshadows because I wanted to make sure that I would use them.  What's the use in ordering flashy colors when you know you're not going to use them?  I wouldn't be able to test them properly if I don't use them.  Along with the eyeshadows, 2 blushes and 1 contour found their way to my shopping cart.

From left to right:
Peach Smoothie, Crème Brulee, Frappé, 
Barcelona Beach, Cocoa Bear, Cherry Cola

I admit that Cherry Cola might be a bit out of context, it isn't really a neutral but a gorgeous dark reddish brown.  It's unlike any color I've seen before and I love the uniqueness of it!  
The quality of these are great, they are so creamy and smooth and blend so easy.  Especially considering the price of these babies is only €6,30!!  

Spell Bound

Bliss

There's no easy way to swatch blushes but I think these pictures show off the pigmentation perfectly.  One dip of my finger in the blush pan, a smear on my arm and these are the result.  The color payoff is crazy.  

Break Up (cool porcelain contour)

I'm not a big contour person.  I love seeing the instagram pictures with the real hardcore contour but on myself?  Not so much.  I have to admit that I didn't have a real contour color, I used a bronzer to contour ever so lightly.  Before we have this whole discussion about cool and warm tones for contouring, I have to add that my bronzer is actually quite cool toned.  I do believe a contour has to be cool toned, simply because that's what shadows are: cool toned.  And since contouring is mimicking shadows it's only normal that you use cool tones for this.  I have used this powder a few times, not on a daily base but on date nights, and I love it.  The pay off is great but also very easy to blend to end up with a nice natural effect.  My man noticed something different to my face, he couldn't quite say what it was but he liked it and that is the best compliment for me.  People noticing something's different, liking it but not really sure what it is.     That means the effect is there but it is so well blended that it looks natural.

While I was at it, I also bought the XL Z palette to store everything in and as you can tell I still have a lot of space left.  Space that will be filled with more Makeup Geek goodies soon.  I already have my eyes set on some more matt eyeshadows but it won't be long before a least one foiled eyeshadow will find its way to my Z palette.

I really do have to give a shoutout to Beautybay.  This site lost me for a while, they just didn't have anything exciting to offer but all of that has changed over the past few weeks with the arrival of Makeup Geek, Dose of colors, Cover FX, Morphe Brushes, ... I'm a big fan again and am really excited to see what other brands they have coming.

Where to buy:
You can buy everything at Makeupgeek.com but you can also buy them at Beautybay.com.  If you live in Europe ordering from Beautybay will ensure you that no extra duties or taxes will be charged and they offer free shipping on orders over €19.
On Beautybay the eyeshadows cost €6,30, the blush and contour pans are €10,20 and the XL Z palette costs €21,90.
SHARE:

Geen opmerkingen

Een reactie posten

© Wrinkles And Heels | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig