zaterdag 27 juni 2015

Maybelline New York the palettes part 1: The Nudes


Honestly?  I really don’t understand what took the mainstream drugstore brands so long.  After the ginormous succes of the Urban Decay Naked Palettes you’d think it would be clear that there was a market for palettes with neutral colors but apparently not.  I think NYX was one of the exceptions here but since NYX isn’t that easy to get in Europe we were left with … well, almost nothing to be honest.  But over the last month or 2 all that has changed with Maybelline and L’Oreal both launching there palettes.  


The first one to launch: Maybelline The Nudes palette.  It launched in the US in july 2014 I think so it took almost a year to cross the ocean.  I put this palette on my ‚to buy’ list (because there always is a ‚wishlist’ and a ‚to buy’ list - I never ever second doubt the ‚to buy’ list) when I went to New York in October 2014 and let me say this, it wasn’t easy to find.  Luckily my friends know what I’m about by now so she knew what to expect when I said I had to have this.  Aside from the normal drugstore shopping we entered almost every Duane Reade, Walgreens and CVS we passed just to make a quick run to the Maybelline section and look for it.  It took forever but we found it and even my ever so cool absolutely not interested in makeup friend couldn’t hide her excitement.  
And now it has launched in Europe, in Belgium it retails for €15,99.  


I like the packaging.  It’s a simple clean black case with a see through portion.  You get 12 neutral colors with different finishes and a nice color range AND you get the inevitable thingy, that’s right THE THINGY!  I don’t know what it’s proper name is but I wonder who still uses it.  They should put a ban on it and include it in the Kyoto policy. It doesn’t work and it has to be bad for the environment, just ban it already!


On the back you get a break down of how to create 13 different looks.  I like it when brands do this, it makes things a lot easier if you’re not in a creative mood.


Bear with me for the swatches, it’s my first time so please be nice.  They were all made with my finer and one swipe of color.


The color payoff is of the lighter colors is quite disappointing to me and the matte ones are quite dry and chunky.  You can give the shadows a bit of help by putting on NYX jumbo eye pencil in milk on the eyelid as a base and I would definitely recommend putting on an eyeshadow primer.
The top row is the worst, I was only impressed with one color (the 4th one from the right).  The bottom row was a lot better except from the lightest color.  I’ve read people complaining about the colors not blending that well, I can’t really deny that but I always put some neutral face powder on my eyelids (over my primer) before I put on my shadows as I find this makes blending a lot easier.

If you are looking for a neutral palette than this is a nice one to start with but keep in mind that it does need a bit of help here and there. I don’t think I’ll be using this on a daily base simply because it needs that much help and I just don’t have the time for that in my daily routine.  But I do think I would take it with me for traveling.

Where to buy:
In Belgium you can find it at Kruidvat, Di and Lookis for €15,99.  I’ve been around them a lot the past week and there’s always a few available so you can consider waiting until they have a nice Maybelline promotion going on.



SHARE:

Geen opmerkingen

Een reactie posten

© Wrinkles And Heels | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig