maandag 1 februari 2016

The week I've spent at Make Up Forever Academy

I got certified #mua

2016 is going to be the year of no more excuses I told myself, no more excuses not to do things.  One of the things that I always wanted to do but somehow was afraid of doing was taken a makeup course. Sure, I've been to MAC techniques lessons and I've seen more youtube video's than I have nail polishes but I always wanted to do a real course.  So why did it take me so long?  I really don't know, there were always these stupid excuses I made up not to do it but if I'm being really honest, I was afraid.  Afraid people were going to think I'm being ridiculous (39 years old with a good steady job in a very conservative business sector), afraid there was going to be pressure (by myself or others) to do something professional with what I'd learn but most of all I think I was afraid I was going to suck at doing someone else's makeup.  Can you imagine the horror?  I love all things makeup and everyone around me knows it.  Could you imagine the shame of not being able to do a proper makeup look on someone else?  Putting on your own makeup or someone else's ... these are two totally different things.

day 1: "show me what you got", our teacher wanted to see what our level of  skills was - featuring my bestie 

Last fall I decided not to give in to those excuses and fears anymore and I started looking around for a makeup course.  Let me tell you, these babies are expensive!!  And I've seen the schools/courses that are less expensive but they force you to buy their products or a starterskit through them.  Since I already have most everything you need for applying makeup I really didn't want to go to a school where I was forced to buy stuff.  Price is one thing, reputation is another.  I really didn't want to go to a makeup school that has a shady or no reputation.  Even though makeup is no real science and once you have the basic techniques down it's artistic freedom from there on, it is important to learn those basics to perfection (meaning the hard way: first foundation and than glitters/pigments, no cheating with fall-out by applying your foundation after the eye look).  The last thing that was important to me was the timing.  I work full time and there are no courses in my hometown (we are not hip enough here in Leuven I'm afraid) I knew I had some traveling to do.  I only had 2 schools in the running, one offered evening classes during the week, the other offered a week class during the day and for my own comfort I decided on the last one.  So the first week of January I commuted to Brussels every day for an intensive training at the Make Up For Ever Academy.  Yes, you heard it right: Make Up Forever Academy!!

day 2: "the gradient" with 3 different colors on the lid - featuring my eye infected colleague (no, I did not stab her in the eye with my makeup brush)

What I loved about the whole set up was that even though we got a pretty good discount, we weren't forced to buy anything.  All the MUFE products were there for our use, we had to bring our own tools but were told that we didn't have to use their brushes as long as we had enough brushes to do what was taught that day.  Another thing we had to take care of ourselves: models!!  We needed a model everyday for a whole afternoon.  I have to say that this was almost another excuse not to do it. I thought: "my friends all work fulltime, who is going to take an afternoon off for me?"  But I think it took me 3 days to find 5 different models.  3 days!!  I was so touched by how fast my friends reacted this and how supportive they all were.

day 3: "natural bridal makeup featuring the classic lift" - with the gorgeous sister of a friend who was nice enough to help me out

But the one thing everyone wants to know is 'how was it?' ... The truth?  I can't describe the feeling in words.  I've never really known the feeling of coming home physically exhausted but mentally pumped.  These were long and tiring days but I still had so much energy when I came home (even though when I came home I knew I still had all my brushes to wash and repack everything for the next day).  And I was so relaxed!! Or as my man said it "you only reach this level of relaxation on the third day of a vacation".  It truly was a dream come true, a whole week of fulltime playing with makeup and learning all about FET's, shaping, lip correcting, eye correcting and applying them to models.  At the end of the week we received a certificate and even though I'm not an emotional personal I really teared up.

day 4: "the classic smokey eye" - featuring one a high school friend (yes we go way back) and one of the fiercest women I know

The makeup looks we did were very natural (aside from the classic smokey eye) but it's all about technique and blending ... blending is everything!!

day 5: "mature skin with classic lift" - featuring a great friend that wasn't offended when I called her mature

I still haven't decided if I want to do something with it professionally.  I would love to do experiment on my friends but I really don't want to put pressure on myself because I'm afraid (yes, there's that word again) that I'll loose the fun of it if I 'have' to do it.  One thing I do know: this definitely won't be the last course like this that I'm going to take, there's still so much to learn!!!

closed eyes to show the shadows

Oh, and in case you're wondering: yes, I did buy some MUFE goodies and I still have a little wish list so I'm going to buy some more very soon.  I'll be doing a blogpost of this soon.

*note: all pictures were taken with my iPhone and I did no editing whatsoever
SHARE:

Geen opmerkingen

Een reactie posten

© Wrinkles And Heels | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig