dinsdag 21 juli 2015

In honor of national Ice Cream Month: Easy coffee ice cream (recipe by Nigella Lawson)


Did you know July is national Ice Cream month in the USA?  No, well neither did I … until last sunday.  Because sunday July 19th 2015 was national Ice Cream day and it was all over instagram. 

whisk the cream until thick

All day long all I could think was: "how did I not know this?” followed by "why don’t we have a national Ice Cream month?  it’s just genius”.


Ice cream has always been a weak spot for me, you can wake me up in the middle of the night for it and I’ll kiss you (knowing I’m not a morning person that says a lot).   I’ve never made ice cream myself, I don’t have an ice cream maker and I’ve never found a recipe that could convince me to try other methods.  Until now.This is a recipe from Nigella Lawson (Nigelissima) and it’s called No Churn Coffee Ice Cream.  

add the sweetened condensed milk

Aaaah, Nigella Lawson, you can always count on her to come up with a recipe that is so decadent that when just reading it, it will add 10 pounds on the hips.  I remember watching one of her shows where she made a batter, put a Bounty candy bar through it and then fried it.  I was absolutely shocked, I really didn’t know what to think: was she a crazy lady or sheer genius?  

add the coffee powder

I have to say that the upside of making this ice cream myself is that I don’t eat as much of it as I would store bought ice cream.  Simply because I know what’s in it and let’s just say, it’s no light version … but moderation is everything so a little bit now and then really won’t harm you.

pour in a container and freeze for at least 6 hours

Ingredients:
  • 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
  • 300 ml (around 10 oz) of full fat cream
  • instant coffee powder
Whisk the cream until thick (not standing in peaks but more like clotted cream), add the can of sweetened condensed milk and the instant coffee powder.  Pour the mixture into a container, close it and freeze it for at least 6 hours.  Before serving it let it soften a bit.

let it soften

And there you have it: the perfect no hassle coffee ice cream. 

and enjoy!!


I will be making this recipe again but maybe without coffee  and with dulce de leche instead of normal sweetened condensed milk.  I can’t wait for that one because hey, it’s Dulce De Leche Ice Cream.  Pretty sure the world is all good after having a bowl of that …
SHARE:

Geen opmerkingen

Een reactie posten

© Wrinkles And Heels | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig