maandag 8 juni 2015

Beauty shopping in the USA my way




I just got back from a 3-week road trip in the USA.  The last 7 years I’ve been to the US almost every year I think.  Road trips with the man and New York with the girls (because the man doesn’t want to go to NY again any time soon, "been there,done that” is what he says — BUT IT’S NEW YORK!!! there's no such thing as "been there, done that” is what I say) so I think it’s safe to say that I have gained a bit of experience when it comes to beauty shopping in the USA.

First of all, let me say that I always make a wish list but when I come home I probably haven’t bought half of it.  "Why” I hear you ask?  Because it’s one thing to make a virtual list and another one to actually spend the money on it.  The first times I went I really didn’t focus, I just wanted everything that was cheaper than in Europe.  Unfortunately for my bank account that is almost everything (even with the current exchange rates, so can you imagine what it was like a few years ago?).  Nowadays I try to focus on the brands or products we can’t get in Europe, are hard to get or aren’t available yet.  I also always look at the products that I can get online but can’t see in real life (like Hourglass, Urban Decay, Makeup forever, Too faced), if I like it than I know I can always order it online later.

So where do I shop?  First of all WALMART !  My absolute favorite store to shop, prices are ridiculous (especially compared to Europe) and they carry my all time favorite budget brand Neutrogena.  I love their foundation and skincare!! And I always bring back some Revlon nail polishes, lipstick and eyeshadow because, well because it’s almost half of what we pay in Europe for it.  This time I was also lucky enough to find the blush nudes palette by Maybelline.  And don’t forget the Lady Speedsticks deodorants, I haven’t found another deodorant to match this one yet.  EOS, Covergirl, Sally Hanssen … you can go all out at Walmart and still keep it affordable.

Next up are the pharmacies, CVS and WALGREENS.  Now, one thing I don’t understand in the States is the way products are priced.  In Belgium we have a 'recommended retail price’ and usually products cost about the same in every store (with sometimes minimal differences) but not so in the USA.  You can buy an EOS lip balm at Walmart for a little less than 3$, if you turn the corner and you go to your local CVS, the same lip balm could cost 4.75$ (happened to me) which is over 50% more!!  And online they retail for a different price.  I’ve stopped trying to make sense of it.  I just try to get as much drugstore products as I can at Walmart and shop what’s left at the pharmacy.  Usually that would be NYX (at CVS) and some Milani and whatever catches my eye.

And then there are the mothers of all beauty stores: SEPHORA and ULTA.  My Sephora experience is kind of a ritual: I need -at least- 3 trips!  The first time I’m always so overwhelmed that I can’t buy anything.  It’s always the same: I go in thinking I’m going to buy the things I wanted but when I’m there it’s just too much.  I know it sounds ridiculous but that’s just the way it is.  I walk around, feeling all intimidated and when it gets too much I just leave.  The second time I’m more relaxed and I can actually look at the things I wanted, only to think "but you already have so much, do you really need this?" (the answer to these questions is no of course) or "doesn’t this cost too much?" .  You know, rational questions, the one’s we don’t want to ask ourselves while shopping for beauty products.  But the second time I force myself to buy something and once you’ve put the first item in you little Sephora basket, the others follow easily.  The third time (usually our last day) I buy what I really regretted not getting the second time (and I admit, sometimes I just blow what’s left of my travel budget).
Ulta is different as it isn’t that easy to find.  They are usually located outside the city so we have to drive there for the soul purpose of me shopping.  I have only one chance there.  Luckily they carry a lot of the same brands as Sephora so I  focus on the one’s that are exclusive to Ulta (like Lorac, it-cosmetics, ZOYA, China Glaze, more NYX …).  

Bath and Body works and Victoria’s Secret need no introduction or explanation I think.  They speak for themselves.  Bodylotions, shower gels, hand sanitizers and candles that smell divine.  Here I always curse the airlines and their baggage restrictions.  Shame on you for not allowing me to bring home as many 3-wick candles as I’d like!!

A picture is worth a thousand words and the picture in the top says it all for me.  I think I did well, I don’t think I went overboard.  I bought what I liked and so far I have no regrets.  


Let me know if you see something on the picture that you want me to write about or if you have any remarks. I'd love to hear from you!

SHARE:

Geen opmerkingen

Een reactie posten

© Wrinkles And Heels | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig