zondag 21 juni 2015

Marketing triggers: what are yours?


We all know that extensive budgets go into marketing a product and putting it out there.  Making sure you reach the right target group, giving a product a certain image … it’s all part of the game.  There are plenty of books and studies about it but essentially it all comes down to this: outline your target, find out what their triggers are and play into that.

I don’t have to think hard about what my triggers are, aside from all sorts of nail polish (because well, it’s nail polish, I just can’t get enough of it) my two biggest triggers are the words "limited edition” and products that aren’t easily accessible.  



The first one is easy: limited!!!  That means I have to get it now, right??  There simply is no time to think about it, you have to decide right away because chances are that it’s gone if you wait.  When in doubt you can always count on that little voice inside you that goes „but it’s limited, LI-MI-TED!!” to win you over.  Since every brand has their limited editions and I want to stay financially healthy, I do my research on them and decide what I want before the collection hits the store.  I try to limit myself to what I decided on and only rarely do I still make an impulse purchase.  The only thing I always buy are the limited edition nail polishes from Catrice, usually 4 or 5 and they have a new limited edition every 1,5 month or so.
One of the things that help me prevent going all out on limited editions is reading beauty blogs.  A lot of those blogs get the products before the launch date and a lot of brands launch a lot earlier in the USA than in Europe.  I try to use both of them to my advantage.  I read as much as I can about a limited edition that I might be interested in.  Usually, the more I read about it, the more the „new” feeling of it wears off and I’m left with the product that I’m really interested in.  If there is any left at all, a lot of times I just feel that by the time the limited edition launches here, I’m already over it.  It’s something I really don’t understand, why do brands have different launch dates for the USA and Europe?  I feel it only works in their disadvantage.
Does that mean I don’t get sucked in when it comes to limited editions?  Absolutely not!  Remember the MAC Cinderella eyeshadow palette?  I bought it because it has the perfect colors for me all together in one palette, that would be great for traveling…right?  Wrong!  I just can’t risk it, what if it breaks or gets dirty or the print disappears because of the back and forth.  I’ll never be able to replace it because it’s LI-MI-TED. Case made.



And than there are those brands that aren’t easily accessible here in Belgium.  By that I mean you can’t get it in stores here, you can maybe get it online but the harder it is, the more I want it.  Take brands like Hourglass, Tarte, LORAC (which you can get through nordstrom.com by the way), it cosmetics, NYX … You know, the brands that probably none of your friends and colleagues have heard about?  I want those.  The more accessible they get, the more my excitement for them lessens.  Take Urban Decay, it used to be hard to get here, evolved to being easy available online (think feelunique.com, hqhair.com, beautybay.com …) to being available in store in Belgium as of august (iciparisxl) and I have mixed feelings about it.  I love the fact that more people will have access to good brands and that the more traditional brands get some competition (since a lot of brands are owned by the same company this maybe is a tricky one) but the 'exotic’ feeling I have will fade.  

So for me it’s easy, Limited and 'hard to get' are my triggers.  I know it and I know how to deal with it  (I think).  
Ever thought about yours?


SHARE:

Geen opmerkingen

Een reactie posten

© Wrinkles And Heels | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig